2020 girls cross country team

What a year for the 2020-2021 Mohawk Girls Cross Country team! Members of the team include Karli Householder, Evelyn McClain, Lillian McClain, Aricka Young, Nadia Lape, Sidney Andrews, Katelyn Stivers, Lydia Fair, Natalie Lape and coach Dave Bredl. This team proved a lot of people wrong and had an outstanding season. Starting off strong, the girls went undefeated in their section claiming section championships. This startled many teams because Mohawk’s first four runners were all freshman. Captain Nadia Lape showed great sportsmanship from the start to the finish of the season. Although she was in a spot that she was not used to being in, she did not let that affect her drive to win. She encouraged the freshman more and more everyday and pushed them to be their best. Her younger sister, Natalie, was quite the talk the whole season. Natalie helped the Lady Warriors earn the section title along with breaking the Mohawk course record. Natalie, a freshman, broke the record with a time of 17:38. The number one time before her was 20:49, she blew that out of the water and has three more years to improve her time. Advancing after their season, the Lady Warriors took on Tri-County where they competed as a team as well as individually. Mohawk took first place out of all of the teams. Also, seven out of the nine members of the team placed individually. The medalists were, Natalie Lape (2nd), Evelyn McClain (3rd), Lillian McClain (4th), Aricka Young (5th), Nadia Lape (9th), Sidney Andrews (11th), and Katelyn Stivers (13th). This was a great day for the Lady Warriors. After a lot more training, the girls were now well prepared for the WPIAL meet. They were the perfect definition of a team. They all pushed each other, loved each other, and not only competed for themselves, but competed for each other. The Lady Warriors then took first place in the Class 1A WPIAL championship. This was a huge accomplishment for the team and for Senior Captain, Nadia Lape. She now gets to wear a ring to remember an unforgettable senior year. It didn’t end there however, the Lady Warriors continued their season by qualifying to the PIAA Cross Country Championship. The girls and coach Bredl traveled to Hershey to compete in the state meet. They did an outstanding job, better than many people thought. Mohawk’s team impressed many people due to the first four runners being freshman. A lot of pressure was put onto these girls but that did not stop them. The Lady Warriors finished second in the state, beating New Wilmington. Along with placing second as a team, freshman and number one runner Natalie Laped placed 16th as an individual. She earned a medal and plans to be back and better next year! The Lady Warriors Cross Country team has made the community so proud and continues to bring excitement for the upcoming years. Although this was Nadia’s last season, she will forever leave an impact on the sport and her teammates. She as well as the rest of the team earned every bit of that WPIAL title!