The Arrow

The Arrow

• Boys JV and Varsity Basketball Game- Home January 14th!/Girls at Neshannock

Home Sweet Home

Back to Article
Back to Article

Home Sweet Home

Frank Conto, Staff Writer

The last time the Mohawk football team hosted a playoff game was back in 2005, where they beat a very good Jeanette team 33-0 that was led by future NFL player Terrelle Pryor.

The 2018 Warriors had a similar turnout in when hosting a dangerous Seton LaSalle team in their second home playoff game in program history.

The Mohawk Warriors enjoyed a very successful regular season, going 6-1 in section play on their way to their first Mid-Atlantic Conference championship in 13 years. Coming into the WPIAL Class 2A Playoffs, the Warriors were ranked as the 5th seed in the tournament, matching them up against the 12th seeded Seton LaSalle Rebels. The Warriors knew coming into the game that they would have the advantage with playing in the slick mud in front of a tightly packed and very enthusiastic home crowd. What they did not expect was a complete battering of the Rebels with a score of 48-0. The scoring started on the defensive side of the ball for a change, as defensive back Dmitry Pendro was the recipient of a Rebel’s pass where he darted for a 24 yard touchdown to put the home team up 7-0. Later on in the first quarter quarterback Nick Wheeler bought himself enough time to find wide receiver Nate McCutcheon over the middle where he would race for a 67 yard touchdown. Towards the end of the first quarter running back Braydon Cameron plowed 12 yards to put the Warriors up 21-0. On the first play of the second quarter, Jordan Mollenkopf received a punt and galloped to the endzone where he was led by a parade of blockers. Towards the end the second quarter Cameron took a screen pass from Wheeler where he took it for a 19 yard touchdown. That score extended the lead to 35-0 where they would take that into halftime. Even with a running clock in the second half, the Warriors converted when Wheeler again hit McCutcheon from 26 yards on a beautiful over the shoulder grab. McCutcheon would have only two receptions on the night but he made the most of them as both went for scores. Wheeler would finish the evening going 8-13 for 182 yards with three touchdowns. Cameron capped off his 156 yard night when he got loose for a 75 dash where it seemed like everyone who was in pursuit was stuck in slow motion to make it 48-0 in favor of the hosts. The Warriors were dominant in all three phases, forcing four turnovers on defense (one for a touchdown), had a touchdown on special teams as well as excellent coverage, and as usual the offense was humming thanks to the likes of the three-headed monster of Wheeler, McCutcheon, and Cameron, and as always thanks to the stellar blocking up front. The Warriors will have have their hands full next Friday, as they will take on 4th seed Charleroi that will be at Moon High School with kickoff coming at 7:30.